Cibola National Forest and Grasslands Rescind Fire Restrictions on 3 Districts
Cibola National Forest and Grasslands Supervisor Nancy Rose announced that three districts rescinded its fire restrictions on Friday, August 5.
“These districts have been getting widespread precipitation and district staff have determined that the moisture levels in the vegetation are high enough to limit the spread of any human or natural-caused wildfires,” Rose said.
With the recision of the fire restrictions, all designated forest roads and campgrounds will be open and campfires will be allowed. Visitors are asked to use caution when maintaining campfires and to remember that the use of fireworks of any kind is strictly prohibited on all National Forest lands.
Fire Restrictions on the Cibola National Forest and Grasslands are as follows:
• Mountainair Ranger District — all fire restrictions lifted on Friday, August 5.
Fuelwood permits will not be immediately available. For more information, go to http://www.fs.usda.gov/cibola and click on the Mountainair Ranger District Quick Link, then click on the Mountainair Fuelwood Permits Quick Link. You may also contact the district office at 505-847-2990.
• Sandia Ranger District lifted fire restrictions on Friday, August 5. All designated forest roads and picnic areas will be open except for Las Huertas and Capulin picnic grounds. For additional information, please call Karen Takai at 505-281-3304.
• Magdalena Ranger District lifted all fire restrictions on Friday, August 5. All designated forest roads and campgrounds will be open and will allow campfires at that time. Fuelwood permits are available at both the Magdalena District office and at the Forest Supervisor’s Office in Albuquerque. You can obtain fuelwood information by using the Cibola National Forest web page: http://www.fs.usda.gov/cibola and click on the Magdalena News link. For additional information, please contact the district office at 575-854-2281.
• Mt. Taylor Ranger District has no fire restrictions.
• Black Kettle & McClellan Creek National Grasslands (including Lake Marvin and Lake McClellan), are in Stage II fire restrictions. For more information, call 580-497-2143.
• Kiowa and Rita Blanca National Grasslands are in Stage II fire restrictions. For more information, call 575-374-9652.
Finally, visitors are asked to pay close attention to weather conditions, as thunderstorms quickly move in to the areas. Please be prepared to move to safety when hiking on forest roads, trails and ridge tops.
For more information about current fire restrictions, please go to Cibola National Forest and Grasslands at http://www.fs.usda.gov/cibola.