Elephant Butte Lake Memorial Day weekend enforcement
New Mexico State Police are preparing for another busy Memorial Day Holiday weekend. During the Memorial Day Holiday Weekend a large number of visitors are anticipated to visit the Elephant Butte lake area.
Therefore, an increase in vehicle traffic on Interstate 25 and local roads is expected. Extra manpower has been allocated to assist officers with traffic enforcement and response to increased calls for service near and around the lake areas.
Visitors and travelers in and around the lake area can expect to see the following:
- High visibility patrols in and around Elephant Butte Lake State Park with an emphasis on detecting and suppressing any criminal-related activity.
- High visibility patrols of Interstate 25 and local State Roads to reduce crashes due to anticipated increased traffic flow for the holiday weekend.
- High-visibility water patrols of Elephant Butte Lake to reduce alcohol-related crimes on the water.
- Detection and apprehension of alcohol or drug impaired drivers.
- Detection and strict enforcement of alcohol laws involving juvenile drinking.
- Beach patrol after 10 p.m. as needed during the holiday weekend to assist New Mexico State Parks with enforcement of quiet hours and other state park regulations to reduce criminal related activity.
This will be a collaborative effort between the New Mexico State Police; New Mexico State Parks, DPS Special Investigations Division, New Mexico Game & Fish, New Mexico Mounted Patrol, Sierra County Sheriff’s Department and the Truth or Consequences Police Department to work towards keeping the area safe for citizens, motorists and visitors.