Socorro Open wants more exposure for tournament
Head golf pro at New Mexico Tech Russ Moore told city councilors Monday that having more sponsors and media coverage of the Socorro Open is greatly needed.
There were a total of 201 entries this year, 22 more than last year with 179 entries. There was some media coverage of this year’s tournament in New Mexico Magazine and the Golf New Mexico website. Moore said there were plenty of sponsors at the beginning of the season, but because of the bad economy, many sponsors dropped.
“Coverage is one of the biggest issues we have,” Moore said.
Mayor Ravi Bhaskar suggested billboards be posted in Albuquerque three to four months in advance prior to the golf tournament so more people know more about the Socorro Open, and get more sponsors as well.
Media coverage also includes having television stations come to Socorro for the golf tournament and have the media cover the event.
“We could also put a pamphlet out to the public about the tournament,” Bhaskar said.
City building manager Mike Czosnek informed the governing body about a problem with a vacant house on 203 Sixth St., which is causing concerns with neighbors because the previous owner abandoned the building.
Since January to March, there have been 18 police reports about problems going on with the house. Transients are using the home for shelter purposes, Czosnek said.
The owner boarded up the house, but the transients made a hole in the wall to continue to use the house for various purposes, Czosnek said. Last October, the owner was in town and saw the property, but took no action.
There will also be a time limit for the owner to clean up the property, and the council decided to adopt the resolution to tear the house down, Councilor Peter Romero said.
“The owner should’ve done something about this a long time ago,” Bhasker said. “It’s a terrible situation.”