High school gets second bomb scare this month

........................................................................................................................................................................................

Socorro High School was on lockdown again Thursday due to a threat made at the school.

It is the second lockdown at the high school this month, the first happening Feb. 5 when a student left a note by the door of a classroom threatening that there was a bomb at the school. Students were evacuated Thursday to the athletic field because of the threat, according to student reports. Police did not return calls seeking information on Thursday's threat as of press time.

Socorro Consolidated Schools Superintendent Randall Earwood said last week disciplinary action for a student making such a threat can include long-term suspension, which holds the potential for serious consequences such as being held back a grade.

Socorro Police Department Chief George Van Winkle said last week that a bomb scare charge is a fourth-degree felony. In New Mexico, a conviction on a fourth-degree felony can mean up to 18 months in prison and/or a fine of up to $5,000.