Brush fire flairs up on Cassady in Socorro
A fire on the northeast side of town Monday night burnt about a quarter acre of dry brush.
Floyd Hewitt, a resident who lives on Cassady, said an outside water spigot on his property was damaged by the fire, and a few trees were scorched.
“I’m just glad that it wasn’t worse,” Hewitt said. “And I hope that’s the worst the community sees during fire season.”
Socorro Fire Department Chief Joe Gonzales said the grass fire burned about a quarter acre of dry vegetation in the area near Cassady. He said the fire was most likely started by a smoker throwing a cigarette or a match on the ground.
Gonzales said the fire was called in at 10:52 p.m. Firefighters left the fire station on the plaza at 10:54 p.m. and arrived at the scene four minutes later.
“We were there for about 40 minutes,” Gonzales said. “We used 1,000 gallons of water, one truck and three personnel.”
Gonzales said a resident of the neighborhood reported a car had gone off the road in the area not long before the fire started. He said due to the extremely dry conditions prevailing in this area, the fire could have even started by the heat of the car’s exhaust touching on the dry grass.
“But more than likely, I’d say a cigarette caused it,” Gonzales said.